Saturday, December 28, 2013

Busy, busy.

I took a few days off from photos because of the holiday. I hope each of you enjoyed spending time with family and friends.  We had a blast here at home!  Lots of visitors, dancing, laughing, and baking! Anyway.....here are a couple photos from some of the happenings at our home during this celebratory week! 


Andy rigged the waterer to the outside of the upper coop/hutch for Eve while she was recuperating from the loss of her ten kits.  It is easily accessible on the outside for Evan to fill, and pokes inside for Eve to drink from. Another great idea!



This is my first attempt at making bread without the convenience of a bread maker. (I broke the machine after many, many tasty loaves! It died a glorious death.) 

I received a dutch oven for Christmas. (The 12 year olds can stop laughing now. You know who you are!). I couldn't wait to try it out! 

It was fantastic!  The bread smell that filled my home was worth the work. Plus, I can't get over the fun of watching bread dough bubble and rise! 
Evan just about ate half the loaf, so I must have done something right! 


This is just another photo of the same loaf in my new dutch oven. It was yummy!



My second attempt was with 100% whole wheat flour we had in the house. It didn't rise the same as the first loaf, but I was reminded that wheat bread is denser. It still looks and smells great. I'll wait to slice it until we have finished the first loaf. 


My new goal is to make all of our bread, but with my love of sourdough and the Franz outlet so close we'll have to wait and see how I do. 

**I am looking for some advice with sourdough starter. Please send any info or advice you may have.  I'm scared to grow my own as I'm not the best at remembering to feed things that aren't children. ;) Wish me luck, friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment