Tuesday, October 1, 2013

RIP kits

Unfortunately, this afternoon we found all of Mary's newborn kits deceased. As she began nesting, we moved her inside to the upper, unused chicken coop. The weather has been absolutely terrible here with high winds and pounding rain, so we moved her indoors to protect her and her kindle from the elements. She gave birth sometime yesterday/overnight. Andy added a heat lamp to help keep them from getting too cold, but it still didn't help. We are not sure why, but her entire kindle didn't survive the night. 

Andy is still convinced that raising rabbits is worth the time, money, and effort, but I'm having my doubts. I love raising our own meat and the feeling of sustainability, but it hasn't proven to be successful or profitable just yet. I hope I can hold out long enough for my love to prove me wrong. I'm not sure how many more dead newborns I can handle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment